Laying in the sun is one of my favorite things, even better when it’s in a random field near a forest with my pup!
My dear friend, Dr. Kierstin DeWitt is allll about the elements. She’s taught me so much about the importance of sunlight.
The founders of Naturopathic Medicine recognized this as well.
"The six majors of naturopathy are the agents which make for life and form the congenial environment under which each normal life can express itself. These essential are air, light, water, food, physical culture and mind." - Benedict Lust, ND, MD 1922
Not only is sunlight a catalyst for our bodies to make Vitamin D and regulate our circadian rhythm, it also…
- Decreases blood pressure
- Increases immune tolerance
- Modulates immune system
- Releases beta endorphins: makes you feel good!
- Reduces contact hypersensitivity
- Produces melanin, which is an antioxidant and protects against free radical production
The body actually creates light in our mitochondria and lipid peroxidation! EVERY living thing creates this. They’re called biophotons or ultraweak photon emission (UPE).
To name a few of their known actions:
- needed for many brain functions, including cerebral energy metabolism, cerebral blood flow, and oxidative processes – which will affect cognition, memory, neurotransmitter release, synaptic plasticity, etc….
- impact DNA activation by changing where the DNA is read, changing its expression!
- affect lower brain and pituitary
– leading to changes in hormone activation/suppression.
Acupuncture is thought to work as an antenna amplifying and redirecting these biophotons in the body!
It’s so easy in today’s world to assume that nature cannot heal… or even that we NEED a specific supplement, or herb to help the body heal… let’s not forget about the natural elements.
Thank you, Dr. Kierstin for being so passionate and teaching me this lesson!